Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Midmonth UFO Update

My UFO goal this month is to finish the Clarissa quilt top. The first step is to make the 20th and final block. Each block has 144 triangles, so the cutting takes a while. The pieces at the top are leftover triangles I found in the project box. In true Clarissa style I wanted the last block to be scrappy and use up the extras. I cut the triangles with Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool

Then I got out Charity (my adorable 1952 Featherweight) to sew the hourglass blocks. These old machines really need to be able to sew regularly to keep them in good shape. She's old and although she sews beautifully, she doesn't have any seam markings. I just put a piece of tape on the bed of the machine where the edge of 1/4" seam allowance should be, but it's not perfect.


That's okay... all the blocks need to be squared down anyway using the Bloc-Loc ruler. As you can see, not much needed to be trimmed away... I guess the accuracy was better than I thought!

Linking up to Let's Be Social over at Lorna's.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I had been wondering when Clarissa would show up again. You are getting so close to the end.

Janet O. said...

Very exciting to be getting near the completion of this top!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

All of those little Clarissa pieces :) You go girl :)

Barb said...

Love the name of your featherweight!
I'll have to look into that little rule, looks handy.
happy stitching

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You need a 1/4" foot for your Featherweight. I got mine from Cindy Peters. I have several now (so I don't have to keep stealing them from other machines). Perfect 1/4" seams (Bonnie Hunter measured my seams/block at a class).

Vivian said...

Loved that you sewed this one up on a FW. Given what you said about her family circumstances on another post about this project, I think if Clarissa had the option of using a sewing machine, she would have too!!