Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Another Dilemma Solved!

Last week I was really feeling confused about my shop hop UFO dilemma... should I start a new shop hop when last year's blocks are still in a bag?!?! Once I posted about this dilemma, blog readers shared wonderful ideas in the comments and some folks even emailed me with some great suggestions.

My decision was made when a couple of friends were going to a few of the shop hop stores, I didn't have to drive, and I happened to have most of the day off. 
So off we went! We managed to get to 4 quilt stores and that was very helpful in my decision making process. I can't show you any photos of the blocks or projects because for some reason unknown to me, many stores asked for no photographs to be taken of the project quilts and all stores stated that there was to be no social media posts. 
So this photo is of the yoyos that I made during the drive that may or may not be for one of the blocks! I decided not to collect all the blocks so that I don't feel the pressure of yet another project on the go. But I am going to collect some of the block patterns from selected stores that I will add to the blue project from last year. I will substitute out the patterns I don't want to make and add in some of this year's patterns that I would like to try.
I am very happy with my decision and thank everyone for their suggestions last week. 
And I found this cute sign in a gift shop!

10 comments:

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

That is odd, I wonder what the reason was? I would have expected that social media exposure would increase the traffic on the shop hop.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

They want you to visit the stores to see the ideas, that is why they don't want sharing. Above all this is an event to get people to shop. I love that sign!

Deanna W said...

The stores do work hard to put on these shop hops and row by row...there is alot of planning that goes on. Sorry to say there are quilters out there who do want something for nothing. Having said that I am sticking to my resolve to finish UFO and clear out the sewing room....that should keep me busy enough. Love both signs!!!

Janet O. said...

I'll bet it feels good to have found a solution. You got a day out shopping with friends and you didn't end up with a new WIP. Win-win!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Some of our LQS' need that sign during some of our shop hops. I don't know when the next shop hop is planned.

Mary said...

That is Odd! No Social Media posts!?? If the patterns are origimals I can see that need for secrec. But they didn't make you want yo start a New Project so they must not be so great...

Lisa J. said...

Love that sign Kathy. We stopped in to creative sisters today and they were pretty surpriised that we weren't there for the shop hop. I'm happy to go on a road trip to the stores but I have two years worth of unfished blocks so I decided not to collect any more!

Kate said...

Love the sign. That's exactly what I want at the end of the day on Friday. Looking forward to seeing what you end up using from the shop hop.

Teresa in Music City said...

Well I never heard of such a thing! You would think they would love the advertisement and inspiration to get others to come visit. Glad you decided to go along for such a fun day!

Lesley said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Sorry they wouldn't let you take photos...as a quilter, I would be more apt to visit a shop that I had seen through social media, but I guess they have their reasons. Sweet little Yoyo's!