Sunday, May 03, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching

slow down live longer
Slow Down!
It's Sunday, which means it is time to slow down and do some hand stitching. It has been such a whirlwind week that I haven't even had time to visit the hand stitching links from last week. I look forward to some time to relax today, to visit blogs, and to review my memories from the week. Sometimes life passes in such a blur that you don't even remember what you've done (or maybe that's just me??)
This week I have been preoccupied by my guild's quilt show, sewing hanging sleeves, submitting the quilts, and then volunteering at the show and seeing all the amazing quilts. I was also happy to learn that I won two ribbons.



The first photo shows the miniature quilt ribbons from the challenge. I love this display because my challenge quilt (pattern by Camille Roskelley) is sandwiched between two amazing quilts made by two wonderful quilting friends - Marilyn Watson above and Cheryl Wallace below! 

I was struck by the thought that their pieces look so relaxing and calm, and mine looks "intense". I think it's because of the way I quilted it... that owl looks menacing! But the friendship stars are "containing the threat", so maybe the intensity fits my theme and I should say that I meant to do it that way! 
Anyway, the owl fabric is in the other quilts too, but they used it so cleverly that you can hardly notice it.


And my second ribbon was in the small wallhanging category. This is Cascadia - which you might recognize from a sewalong by Lori at Humble Quilts. I love this quilt and use it as a cover on top of one of my sewing machines. 

So today I will be relaxing with my thoughts and my stitching. I hope to finish the quilting on my Always Home wallhanging.


What are you working on today? We would love to see your hand stitching project! Link up your blog post below and share your progress.





16 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations! I am not surprised that you won some ribbons! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Congratulations on the ribbons ... I'm not surprised either. ;-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

if I get around to any slow stitching today I'm sure I will be picking up the embroidery hoop for a couple minutes here and there and stitch - mostly though on this fine day I will be outside and work on quilting this evening. Congrats on your ribbons - well deserved!!

Kate said...

Congratulations on the ribbons! Hope you get to catch your breath while you slow stitch today.

Kaja said...

Congratulations on your ribbons! I love Cascadia too.

Quayceetatter said...

Beautiful quilts and congratulations on your ribbons. We all need to slow down and smell the Roses!!!

Sarah said...

Well done! And well deserved! Hope you have a nice day slow stitching. xx

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on your ribbons for your very cute quilts! Happy Sunday stitching!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Congrats on your ribbons, well deserved! No slow stitching for me, two weeks now! But I really need to get some machine time in to make these scraps behave. Enjoy your stitches!

Lori said...

Ah, thanks for letting me know about your Cascadia! Congratulations on your ribbons!! They are wonderful!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Woot Woo!! COngrats!!~! I love your journey of a quilter in a previous post too!! Thanks for the sunday linky!

Sherill said...

Congratulations on receiving ribbons for your lovely quilts!I thinking of setting up a hand quilting area on the deck. It is so warm outside, finally!

Jeanne said...

Congratulations on your ribbons!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on 2 ribbons! Well deserved! I'll go slow stitch, when I get off the computer.

Deb A said...

Congrats on the ribbons! Hope the quilts played nicely with their friends =)

Janet O. said...

Way to go on the ribbons, Kathy!