Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Votes For Women

I was so sad to read about the death of an inspiring quilter that I know through blogland. I used to love popping over to see what Karen was creating with her Votes for Women project - or as she called it "BB (for Barbara Brackman) Women's Suffrage BOW". You can see her last block here. And just look at the masterpieces she made with these blocks. I love her creative use of images and text in her blocks. It is so sad that this quilt will not be finished, her life and her quiltmaking ending much too soon.


I have finished another block for my Votes for Women quilt. This is block #17 called Mother's Delight. It was one of the most challenging blocks to sew in the BOW so far. 
Wanting to avoid using templates, I drafted a pattern on freezer paper to use as a foundation to piece on. The center join isn't great, but not too terrible either!
This BOW (block of the week) is now more than half finished, and all the block patterns are still available, so it's not too late to start yours - click here to get to the website.  I am a few blocks behind, but really have enjoyed making another sampler quilt with Barbara Brackman!

6 comments:

Deanna W said...

After reading a bit of Karen's blog...she sounds like an amazing lady. Blogging up to the end and quilting too. Makes you think and makes me want to run down to the sewing room and finish stuff. Hugs to you friend.

Janet O. said...

I did not know Karen, but I took a look at her blog--very touching.
This block looks challenging to me. I think you did very well with the assembly and I like the combination of colors you have created. : )

Josie said...

Beautiful block Kathy. Love the colours you are working with. I'm trying not to click on your link to the pattern... I'm thinking 'straw' and 'camel' here :o)
I did follow your link to Karen's blog though. What a brave lady. I really hope she got her wish to quilt on.....

Deb A said...

Love your choice of colors for this block Kathy. It looks great to me. I checked out the link to your blogging friend. So sad we lost a quilter but it sound like she got to quilt till the end and went out her way. Hugs to you.

Kris said...

So sad to hear about Kathy!! She put up an amazing battle!! I wonder if we could coordinate a card blitz for her son so he knows how much we all will miss his Mom!!

AnnieO said...

That was very sad news about Karen. She was a smart, funny, talented women who shared her quilting with blogland so gracefully. Heartbreaking for her son.

Your Mother's Block looks wonderful!