Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Treadling on Tuesday

I haven't been sewing on my treadle since I broke the belt. Did you see Bonnie treadling on Quiltcam last night? So fun! Made me sad that mine isn't working.
In the meantime, I have been getting to know my new/old treadle machine.  Just look at all these original attachments! I have no idea what they are all for and have been reading the online instruction manual to try to figure out this puzzle of pieces. 
I have been admiring my treadle every time I pass by it. Just look at the pretty details on the hand wheel cover!
I bought a new belt to replace the broken one but it smells so bad that I can't stand to bring it in the house. Does anyone know why that is, or how to fix it? As soon as I can tolerate the smell of the new belt, I can fix it, and get treadling again.

4 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

hang it outside to air out. That is what rubber smells like. I bought a new door mat for Halloween, it STANK! Put it in the back of my truck, forgot about it for a week. When I opened up the back to get it out, the smell about knocked me out. After about two days, I couldn't smell it walking in the front door anymore.

Marsha said...

I love old sewing machines! I think they smell nice. (Not sure about the new belt though...:) I was also wondering about the quilt at the top of your blog, is there a pattern for it? I LOVE that quilt and would like to make it. Thanks,
Marsha

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Hey Kathy:

What kind of belt did you buy? I have never had a treadle belt that I could even smell...the ones we've bought were always leather. I have a very good sense of smell and I have never been bothered by a new belt. Very odd.

I wrote up a few articles for our now defunct Canadian Sewing machine collector's group on how to use your attachments. I got 5 articles done. I will look if I still have them on my computer. I should post them on my blog..there may be others that would be interested in that :-).

Jacqui

Deb A said...

I got my treadle 'belt' but it is leather and still in the package. I got the belt to make the electric part work and with lots of oil.... my machine works! Still have not threaded and played with it yet. After I do.... I'll play with the treadle parts!
Good luck. Love the treadle on Tuesday... it is very catchy.