Thursday, September 27, 2012

Changing it up!

Sometimes you just get stuck in a rut and forget that you can change things to improve your life and/or quilting. I have been reflecting on that theme since the suggestions offered on my sad hand quilting project reminded me of the transforming power of choices. You don't have to keep doing the "same old, same old" if it's not what you need, or what makes you happy. So I decided to put that sad quilt right back in the closet...and immediately felt better!
But I needed a hand quilting project to work on and decided to consciously chose the quilt top from the UFO closet that had the most positive energy emanating from it....because if we're going to spend many hours together, it needs to be cheering me up, not dragging me down!

This is the one... my 36 patch quilt from the Crazy Mom Quilts' 36 patch quiltalong. You can read more about that quilt here, and see a truer photo of the colours.  
I am really enjoying seeing this quilt again! I can't remember if I posted a photo of it since I added the scrappy border, but I just love it!  I knew immediately how this quilt wanted to be quilted, and started quilting straight white lines on the diagonal...no marking, just eyeballing it from corner to corner. It's wobbly in places and I'm going to call that "charming"!  I am quilting three needles at a time across the hoop and then moving the hoop. I  foresee many happy hours of hand quilting ahead! 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this "charming" quilt.hehe
You have to do what makes you happy or you will make everyone miserable. I am learning that lesson right now, and I am trying to get back into my sewing room where I am happiest!!
Northern Blog Stalker!

Mary said...

Great thinking! When the quilting becomes a Chore and you aren't enjoying the journey it is best to shelve it. Love the happy colors in this quilt. 3 needles is a good idea too!

Cathy said...

That quilt is near the top of my want to do list. Did you use the same background throughout the quilt?

Karen said...

Even though the design is simple on this quilt, I like the color variations as you move your eyes around the quilt. It all goes together well and has a very soothing look.

Janet O. said...

It is a beautiful, friendly quilt with great eye appeal, Kathy. Love it! Makes me want to get my 64 patch blocks out. But alas, it is nowhere near the top of my priority list and I do need to focus on that for a change and stop getting distracted by minis and QALs and every other sort of eye candy--like your quilt!! : )

Sheila said...

I love your charming quilt. Lovely fabrics.

audrey said...

I like that 'positive energy' comment. Some quilts are just like that--full of goodness and light. Good for you to able to find the proper quilt for the moment.:)

Carrie P. said...

now that is a happy quilt. enjoy working on it.

Jean said...

I love that quilt....it's going to be gorgeous when you finish it!

scraphappy said...

I am glad you found a quilt to make you happy. Three needles racing across the quilt top is just too funny. I wonder who will win?

Frog Quilter said...

It's looking good and I can feel the pleasure of doing it. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ellen in Oregon said...

What a beautiful quilt with its' rainbow of colors. I can see why you were drawn to quilt this one. Well, it sounds like Kathys found here groove again.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh fun!!! Good for you! I am sure you will enjoy working on such a happy quilt, and of course we will all enjoy watching the stitches take shape right along with you :*)

sunny said...

I'm so glad you're happy now! I had to put away a project recently that was dragging me down, so I could move on to happier things.

Jan said...

This is a really happy, sweet quilt. It is certain to cheer you up!

Diane said...

oh the 36 quilt is great-very happy.
good reminder that we don't have to do what we don't want to-or doesn't make us happy-