Thursday, August 30, 2012

Votes For Women

First some great news...Barbara Brackman posted some of my Civil War blocks on her Civil War Quilts blog! I was so excited to see my blocks there...that made my day!
Then the not so great news...I didn't meet my goal to have my civil war blocks made into a quilt by the end of the summer. The reason is that my Brother sewing machine is in quarantine waiting for surgery, and my back up Janome machine just does not sew nice seams, especially when the blocks have multiple seams to sew over. So I have been working on other projects where I am not concerned about having chewed up seams - and my civil war blocks are still sitting in a box (insert sad face).
And to end this post with more great news...
Barbara Brackman is starting a new year long BOW (Block of the Week) called Grandmother's Choice: Votes For Women. There will be and 8" block pattern and history lesson on the fight for women's rights posted each Saturday for a year. I can hardly wait! The first block will be posted September 1st (yep... that's tommorow and only one more sleep!) and I have all my fabrics picked out (from stash) and they are ready to cut into. I might be piecing my blocks by hand if my machine isn't fixed.
Are you joining in?? 

12 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like you need a back up machine for the back up machine.

Rosa said...

Congratulations,that`s great!Yes,I joined.I picked fabrics from my stash.I didn´t made the CW.I`m playing with Dear Jane.

julieQ said...

Sorry you did not meet your goal, but I know yu will get your quilt together soon! Your machine needs to come back from vacation and get to work! Yes, I am joining in too.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

You cant give up on your goal yet, summer isn't officially over till the 21st of September, so you still have time if you can get your bother back!

Deb A said...

I'm joining in! Will be very scrappy from my stash I think as I don't want to purchase any fabrics right now. I think the first is Saturday so you have one more sleep! Otherwise I am not going to hit my QSAB reveal unless the children (monsters!) take a nap this afternoon!

Bonnie said...

Great news Kathy. I'll have to go over and look at the Civil War site. What an easy and enjoyable way to learn some history. But, thought I should mention that tomorrow is August 31. I still have a quilt I want to get done by the end of the month!

Janet O. said...

I would love to do this, but I learned my lesson with her last BOW. I cannot keep up, so I ended up frustrated and giving up. I will live it vicariously through you--and I hope you get your machine back soon!

Candace said...

You are tempting me. I took a look at your blocks on her blog, and they are great as is to be expected. Hope you get your machine back soon. If you lived closer I could sell you my Bernina 830 Record for a backup, or as a main machine.

scraphappy said...

Starting a new project is so much fun. I will enjoy it by watching you though, as I am committed to not starting another sampler until the midgets are done. It does look like fun though!

Sue said...

Congratulations on having your blocks on Barbara's blog. I'm looking forward to the BOW. I keep changing my mind on fabrics.....

Sue said...

Congratulations on having your blocks on Barbara's blog. I'm looking forward to the BOW. I keep changing my mind on fabrics.....

Kate said...

Congrats on having your blocks posted on Barbara's blog, they look great. Hope you get your machine back soon. I'd go nuts if mine was out of commission for very long.

I'm playing hooky from house work tommorrow so I can play in the sewing room and make the first BOW block.