Tuesday, July 31, 2012

FMQ Challenge for July

July's Free Motion Quilting lesson was by Angela Walters and it was really a challenge for me this month!  There is great information on SewCalGal's blog... if you are at all interested in machine quilting, you need to go and read these great (and free!) lessons. It was interesting to me that Angela learned to quilt from her husband's grandfather!
First I painted a piece of fabric using Setacolor paints, and decided to make this month's design in the larger 8" x 16" size for my sampler. And then I found some Isacord thread that Leah Day recommended in her April lesson and was excited to try it out. I thought the colour contrasted well with my fabric, and hoped that would make it easier to stitch this design. I put my standard Aurifil in the bobbin, and this combination was perfect in my machine.
Next came lots of practice in the sketchbook, and a little bit of swearing!The design Angela taught is called "Tiles", and for me it was a tough lesson in learning how to plan your path in advance. I prefer to wonder around in a more intuitive way when I quilt rather than having a structured plan, so it was a challenge to make a plan and come out on the right side of each tile in order to start the next one...it's harder than it looks! 

Then I started on the quilt sandwich and it was still harder than it looks, but I was very happy that I didn't have any thread shredding, or snapping, and no thread tension issues at all. I had put some sparkly (opaque shimmer) paint on this piece of fabric, which you can't really see in the photo, but it made the fabric thick in some places, so I was a little nervous... but no needle fractures either!
It turned out okay. I wish my lines were straighter (again, it's harder than it looks to quilt a straight line with a free motion foot) and I wish I would have made my lines closer together. But it's done and I am pleased with meeting my goal for another month.
If you want to see how other quilters made this design, hop over to Sew Cal Gal's blog and scroll down to see the links for over 130 quilters!

14 comments:

Béa said...

yes, very hard design I think, but yours is successful.

Janet O. said...

I just finished mine tonight, Kathy, and I don't think you can even tell I was trying to make straight lines. : ) Yours look great in comparison--you'll see.

Helen in the UK said...

Looks like you did brilliantly! I like the contrast between your small swirls and the larger block edges - congrats :)

scraphappy said...

It looks FABULOUS. We are always quick to point out our own "mistakes" but it turned out really well. The free motion quilting you do on a domestic machine is truly impressive.

Marilyn said...

Your finished sample looks good. I like your swirls.
I had the same "difficulties" - keeping the lines straight and stitching the pattern to end up back at where it started in the tile.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Your sample looks wonderful Kathy..love it!!

Jeanne said...

It looks terrific! If I could do a fraction as well as this piece, I'd be thrilled. Your curves are so nice.

Mary said...

Your Sample looks great and I even know who you are talking about when you mention Angela Walters- she quilts for Tula PINK! who I met this past week-end. Amazing work she does! Might even make me try some of the techniques.

What Comes Next? said...

looks great!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Kathy, I think it looks beautiful! I think all of us are too hard on ourselves about not having straight enough lines. That is so neat that you put dye on the fabric......you painted it on??

Jean said...

You are so good at quilting with your machine. I am always amazed! This looks wonderful!

Carrie P. said...

great job! I wished my lines were straighter too. I will draw mine next time.

MulticoloredPieces said...

This is really interesting. Love the FMQ design--very fun. Thanks for providing the sources. Also enjoyed your raw edge appliqué quilt. I suppose it's a tile quilt and it certainly looks like my mosaics. I've been thinking lately of how mosaics and quilt designs might come together. You've made me think some more!
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Ellen said...

You did such a great job - looks wonderful! I really need to somehow get beyond meandering and loopy-loops.