Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Civil War Wednesday

I am now totally motivated to hurry up and finish sewing my civil war quilt blocks. Guess why?
A new quilt project to start, of course!
The wonderful Barbara Brackman is creating a new quilt that she is freely gifting us which will start in the fall. I am so excited about this, not only because I have enjoyed the Civil War quilt project, combining such interesting history lessons and challenging quilt blocks to sew, but also because of the topic of her next quilt/book... the fight for women's rights! If you would like to read more about it - click here.
I can hardly wait and have my fabric all picked out! 
But first I have to finish Barbara's last quilt along, so I have been cutting and sewing my remaining blocks, with a goal to finish them in June, sew the quilt top together in July, and start the quilting in August. A very ambitious goal, but I am determined to finish one sampler quilt before I start another.
The first step in working on a UFO is to take a fearless inventory. Barbara posted 53 Civil War block patterns. I am not doing the applique or template blocks, and so I had 10 more blocks to piece.


Here is block # 42 "H is for Hospital".
It was a quick and easy block to sew.


I made a bed size 'H' quilt in 2010, and it is still one of my favorite quilts. 


This is block #43..."Right Hand of Friendship". I see on the computer screen that I didn't do the colour placement the way the pattern calls for, but I like it anyway.


Here is block #44 called "Union". I really enjoyed sewing this one, and like the effect of the striped fabric.
I also enjoyed reading the history about Gen. McClellan.


Only 7 more blocks to sew...

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

I just love your blocks in CW blue/brown combo. I like this better then the pink/brown that is so prolific (is that heresy?) They look great and I can't wait to see them all assembled.

Darlene said...

You'll finish the final 8 in no time, Kathy. The two you've shown are fabulous. I didn't participate last time but I'll have to devote time to the next.

McIrish Annie said...

I started that quilt as well and got 25 blocks done. I have 10 left that I want to do. I sooo enjoyed it but once you get behind it is hard to catch up.

I may follow your lead and try to finish my version before the new one begins in September. Here's wishing luck to both of us!!

I fell upon you through Judy's Design Wall monday post.

soscrappy said...

I admire your dedication to finishing this quilt before starting another. I wonder if I could finish my midgets in time to start in the fall as well? Maybe not, but I will enjoy watching your progress.

Linda said...

I am working on my Barbara Brackmen blocks a little at a time. I got behind last year and still haven't caught up. I sure did enjoy working on these and reading the history too. I can't wait for the new one to start. I'm going to have to get busy and finish this now!!!

Mary said...

I only have 20 CW Blocks made, I would have to really knuckle down to make more of them. Too many other quilts keep calling to me. Good Luck getting yours done!

Ellen said...

I was going to join in but you know how that goes so I think I will buy the book and make the CW quilt when I have a little more time. I also enjoyed reading the posts. I will definitely be following along with the latest project too.

Becky said...

Gosh, I thought about you this month when I visited the orthodontist. I've graduated to elastics or rubber bands. I had to take motrin in the middle of the night. I'm doing ok now, but will visit again on Monday. Think I'll take my motrin before I go:) Have a great weekend!

Mary said...

Kathy, I really do love your blue and brown color scheme. You are motivating me to finish my Civil War quilt. Thanks for the heads up on Barbara Brackman's new BOW...let's finish up this one so we're ready for her new project! Mary in Virginia