Monday, December 13, 2010

Design Wall Monday #46 - H quilt

On Wednesday I wrote about accidentally starting a new quilt of 9" H blocks - to read about it click hereNow I have finished about 50 blocks and have enough for a nice lap size quilt.


I was bored of green and beige, although that is the colour of my sister-in-law's rec room, and I just had to throw in some red, and a sprinkle of blue and now I like it much better. This is not the final layout yet but getting closer!

I have a nice flannel for the backing, and have searched the stash for border and binding fabric but don't have anything I like, so I will have to take a quick trip to the quilt store.

I got a little carried away with these 'H' blocks. I originally saw the pattern on the Golden Thimble website, and then I saw a post by Barb on the Fun with Barb and Mary  blog.

I started making smaller 'H' blocks in a 3" size and added the 'O' blocks to make the 'HO HO' and added a fussy cut Santa block for a fun Christmas placemat. We are supposed to bring Christmas placemats to guild meeting this week, so I'll have a couple of these to contribute. I used up a lot of small scraps of my Christmas fabric to make these blocks!

And then I got the urge to try to make the blocks even smaller...

The 'H' and 'O' blocks at the top of this wall hanging are 3" and the smaller 'H' and 'O's are 1 1/2".  These two quilts are difficult to photograph because of all the gold in the fabrics, but I think you get the idea of how they turned out.
Why not make yourself a little 'Ho Ho' for Christmas?!?

28 comments:

Teaquilts said...

Love your quilts and especially your creativity with the Christmas/Santa ones.

Toni said...

Very creative Kathy!! I love the Santa faces!! I think this is a great scrap idea!

Judy D in WA said...

Love the variety of the Hs. Really love the placemat and wall hanging!!!

Chris said...

Great quilts. I love the lap quilt. It looks so cozy.

Fiber Babble said...

I'm loving all your H blocks - but the HoHoHo quilt is just this side of pure genius! Good job!

swooze said...

Ho Ho is adorable! You are so clever!

Dresden Quilter said...

I love the placemats!What a fabulous idea.

Mary said...

The Santa O's are cute in there. Glad you are having such a Jolly time and not stressing before your Guild Mtg.

Happy Quilter said...

Love your HOHOHO quilt--next year I'm making one for sure. If I start in January, I may get it finished in time.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love your Ho Ho Ho quilts. I've been working on something similar with my selvages - which I kind of need to finish up!:)

Jan said...

Love your little quilts/placemats! I made a doll quilt of H blocks and turned every other one sideways and spelled HI - never thought about a Christmas version! Great idea.

Kathie said...

The little ho hos are so cute.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Those ho ho placemats are absolutely adorable!!

Diane said...

wonderful ho-ho-ho quilt!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Ho Ho Ho to you too!

Barb said...

Oh my goodness you are on a roll...and what you are doing is wonderful!

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, wow, wow to you! Lovin' your hohoho's quilt adventures in different sizes! Thanks for sharing!

Janet said...

Love the HO HO blocks! So cute with the fussy cute Santas!! What a great idea.

Kate said...

Great H's! Love the HOHO quilts! Your SiL's quilt is looking good too.

Judy said...

That looks like a fun block to do, but I can see where it could become addictive. I think I will save this for next year. Too much going on before Christmas for me!!

julieQ said...

What lovely H's you have there, my dear!! Truly...I love your quilt. Very fun!!

Floss said...

Love the HOHO blocks, so fun.

AnnieO said...

Wow, one little slip into starting something new and a whole lotta inspiration followed! Looking great :)

Rose Marie said...

I can tell that you are having fun with these blocks!!! Wonderful and I do like the addition of other colours in your SIL's top.

Karen said...

LOVE the Ho Ho!!!

Quilt Doodles said...

I adore your H quilts and the round robin one with the circles. You are very talented and full of creativity. Love your blog.

Candace said...

Your HO Ho HO quilt is adorable. Very creative, I'll have to add it to my to do list.

Candace said...

Love the HO HO HO idea, I have to try it for next year. So Cute.