Sunday, September 26, 2010

You can't do it all!

I have too much to do. It's probably a sin to complain about having too much fun...and believe me, I am also counting my blessings, but do you ever feel that quilting could take over your whole life?!?
For example...here is the pile of my UFO group projects. These are the quilting projects that I have committed to finish (one each month) for my UFO group. Only 2 of them are actually listed in my UFO wish list on the right of my blog! I have to get to work and finish one of these babies by next week...oh my!  If only I could create extra hours in my days, instead of creating more UFO's.
Too many quilts - not enough time!
And of course, there is so much temptation fun on the internet...a never ending cornucopia of quilty delights!
A blog post on Stash Manicure (click here to read it) reminded me how much fun a Sudoku quilt is.


I dug around in my closet and found this Sudoku mini quilt I made 3 years ago and have always hang up in the fall. It's only 12" square...not a lap quilt like the ones shown on Stash Manicure, and each 9 patch block is 3" finished.

I used a Moda Sonnet charm pack and even used a few more charms as the backing of the quilt. You can see how I make my hanging sleeves and labels in this photo.





Then I decided to challenge myself with the quilting and machine quilted each little 1" square in a different design using a different colour of thread - click here to see the thread selection blog post.



The 1/2" sashing is quilted in teeny tiny little leaves, which are one of my favorite quilting designs, but were a challenge to make this small.

Do you see why projects sometimes take me so long to finish?!? I putz around enjoying every little detail of the quilting process!

And do you also see why I can't get off the computer?!?! Just reading that Stash Manicure blog entry caused me to re-visit my own Sudoku quilt, write this blog post and waste use up another hour of precious quilting time!
Oh, and speaking of wasting quilting time, do you know that there are TWO blog hops coming up this week?!?  The first is a Fall-o-ween Blog Hop which guides you to visit 10 quilt designer blogs, where each day there will be a new theme and a free project. You can read all about it on Sandy Gervais' blog - click here.
And also Pat Sloan is hosting a 14 stop blog hop to promote her new line of quilting rulers - click here to read about that one.
Too many blogs to visit - not enough time! But spending time doing cyberquilting does not get the quilts finished, so NOW...I will put away my new exciting projects from the Bonnie adventure last week, and get off this computer and get to work on finishing an old UFO!

10 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

LOL, I hear you on the sewing vs. cyberquilting! :-) But it is fun to blog hop! :-) Cute little quilt~ I have a lap size one here... somewhere! :-o LOL Have a happy day!

Darlene said...

Well, I cyberquilt I actually finish something! LOL

Have a great day.

julieQ said...

Love your cyberquilting adventures! Just thinkin'...if you put away your Bonnie Adventure Quilt...it will become a UFO. It is just all overwhelming, isn't it? Me too! giggles...enjoy the ride, Kathy!

John'aLee said...

Isn't is great how other bloggers can keep us inspired. I too read about the Sudoku quilt. I'd never heard of them before.
Great blog by the way.

scraphappy said...

Oh so true. Still, as long as you are having fun along the way, forget about the guilt. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you have more fun putzing on a current project than finishing a UFO, then so be it.

Unknown said...

As I'm commenting here I get the internet temptation, and my list is getting longer then the days so I can totally relate!
Ok back to the machine

Candace said...

I love your little Sudoku. I can't believe the pains you took, but I blew up the picture, and it was all worth it.

Gina said...

I know what you mean. I was only going on the computer to check my emails. Two hours later and I'm still here.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Micki said...

Wow, you have a lot of UFOs! They are all pretty and I know you will get them done. With what happened to my leg, I haven't been doing sewing lately, but I will get back to it.
Micki

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I LOVE that little Sudoku quilt!! My son in law loves Sudoku...maybe I should get him to lay out the squares for me LOL!

Jacqui