Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Sentiments

I have been fussing around in my garden today. Pulling a few weeds here and there, stirring the composting, tying up tomatoes, worrying about the lack of sun, putting a hex on the creatures that are flattening and munching my emerging beets, and pondering the placement decisions I made for each of the various vegetables. This is one of my more promising zucchinis.  I just like to stand outside, stare at the garden,  and enjoy the fresh air and sun.  (It's kind of like what men do when they just stand around and stare at the engine of the car!)
I have been a little at loose ends since finishing my 18 year long quilt project and don't really know what to work on now. Heaven knows it's not due to the lack of available UFO's, but I had not been thinking at all about "what's next" as a big finishing focus.
So instead of quilting today, I am reading a novel about quilters. For Mother's Day I received three books by Marie Bostwick, and I have started "A Single Thread".  I heard about this series when Marie was interviewed on Pat Sloan's radio podcast. Here's a good quote from the book:  "The order and precision of quilting appeals to that part of me that wants a refuge from life's chaos, while the unbounded possibilities of color, fabric and finishing speak to the part of me that wants to live life surprised."
But if I read all evening I will have nothing to post for Design Wall Monday!!!?!

7 comments:

Becky said...

I truly enjoyed all 3 books. I've read, napped and read blogs all afternoon. I won't have anything for Design Wall Monday either:) The blocks from 2 weeks ago are still on my design wall. Oh well....

julieQ said...

I too feel that way after finishing a huge project...then something comes along and fills the void!! I will have to look for those books...hmmm...

dmrtn said...

You do realize the seedling in your post is not a beet?? I too have probs with critters eating my plants. I've been spraying my seedlings with a mixture of 1 Tbsp Tobasco Sauce mixed with a Liter of water. Seems to keep the critters away. Try it.

Amy said...

I believe that every quilter (at least ONCE) has the "empty nest" syndrome after completing such a momentous quilting project. You should be very proud of that finish and enjoy some little "putzin' around" until the next momentous project consumes your life :0)

I had not heard of the books, so thank you for sharing.

Vicki H. said...

How pretty and handquilted too. I have a quilt top from high school that I don't think I will ever finish. I have a quilt on my bed in winter that is hand quilted queen sized and hangs over the side a bit. Huge, heavy and never again I say. I am now learning long arm quilting to speed the process along. Btw, my garden needs sun too.

The Calico Cat said...

MMMM Zucchini - the mere mention makes me crave zucchini bread...

AnnieO said...

I love those books--haven't read the latest one tho. Good characters and plenty of storylines I thought.

Focusing is hard when nothing is really grabbing you or demanding attention like some bossy quilts :) Mindless strip piecing is a great way to get out making those boring decisions on UFOs I find!