Sunday, April 11, 2010

Relaxing Sewing at the Masters!

I have been trying to catch a little of the Masters golf tournament in Augusta over the last few days, but today I hope to watch most of it. I am not a golfer, but I enjoy watching that tournament because it looks so beautiful and sunny there, and I love to see the blooming zaleas and dogwoods, and the beautiful scenery. It makes me feel like summer is almost here!
And to continue with that theme, I looked around for something bright and sunny to work on during commercials. Look what I found?!?
I have had this baby quilt top in my closet for at least 10 years! Guess what was left to do?? I just had to sew on the 2 borders! I did the borders quickly, chastizing myself for procrastinating that ridiculously quick job for so long! The fabric is brushed cotton and is so soft and lovely to work with.
I had a spool of yellow Aurofil thread for the quilting, but only had bits and pieces of batting around. So I just butted the batting scraps, overlapping them slightly in some places, and pin basted it.  I have used batting scraps before but painstakingly hand sewed them together with zigzag stitches.  It's just a baby quilt that will be used and laundered frequently, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Do you think this will be a problem?

I am quilting it very simply, stitching with the walking foot 1/4" both sides of the seam lines. If the golf tournament is boring, I'll get a lot done on this old UFO!

5 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I've always stitched the batting pieces together too. If you happen to catch the edges with your quilting so nothing can shift, the positioning of them should work great. Have fun quilting! :-)

Diane said...

love the colors of the quilt-how great that it didn't take much time for use to finish and you got to use up the scrap battings, I agree it should be fine. I usually sew batting together with a loose machine zigzag.

scraphappy said...

How fun to find a quilt almost finished and ready to go. I often piece batting scraps together on my machine, using either a zig zag or S shaped stitch, I've never had any problems. I'm sure the quilting will help hold it all down. Enjoy your golf -- I hope it isn't so interesting that you can't get some sewing done.

Amy said...

Kathy--I agree with the others---you should be okay as long as you "catch" the butted seams in the quilting.

Like Soscrappy and Diane---I also send the batting pieces through the machine with a wide zigzag stitch. Works SLICK!!! GONE are the days when I hand whip-stitched the pieces together. ugh!

And----GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! A UFO close to a finish :0)

Thelma said...

Wow, you even found a project that has the Master's colors! Very Cute!