Monday, February 08, 2010

Design Wall Monday #6


What's on the design wall today?
...still the mystery quilt from Quiltville last year. It was on the design wall in my January 11th blogpost - click here. I wasn't able to make any progress but now that I have finally figured out why, I'm ready to move on.
What was the problem, you ask? I just don't like my pointsettia stars and my ducks and geese blocks together in the same quilt. I really tried to make it work together and auditioned probably hundreds of combinations of sashings and borders and layouts, but I just didn't like it.
I finally reached the conclusion that I do like the 4 fox and geese blocks together as the "Christmas star" and so I went ahead and sewed them together.
Then I went back to trying to find a way to put them together with the Pointsettia blocks again and it was so frustrating !
Final answer... they are going to have to be in 2 separate quilts and I can take a big deep breath and move on! It's so strange when your quilt refuses to co-operate and has such a mind of it's own!
What's on the stove today? 
Leftover Iowa Chowder which I made for the Superbowl festivities this weekend. It was a big hit with my family, although it doesn't look very appetizing in this photo! You can get the recipe on Judy's Lime Green Kitchen blog - click here.
What's on the sewing machine today? 
I am quilting my 7 shirts quilt...nothing fancy, just stitch in the ditch. 

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Obviously your quilt was trying to talk to you. Good thing you listened to it. Can you imagine how those poor blocks would have felt, trapped forever in the wrong quilt with blocks they don't even like?

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I live those star blocks! Your colors are great. You are making me hungry now~ ;-) Have a happy day!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Obviously, that was supposed to say 'love'. :-o I shouldn't type when I'm hungry! LOL ;-)

scrappy nanna said...

I am sure the chowder was great although I must agree it doesn't look so much so in the pic. You are giving me the encouragement I need to finish UFO's. Maybe I will have some to show you one day,when I am down that way.

Diane said...

the quilt is great and to think you're getting 2 quilts for the price of one!

Susan said...

Oh the chowder looks great. I have it on the menu for this week sometime.

Glad you got your quilts worked out to your satisfaction. Two for one.... that isn't too bad.

Carole said...

Glad that you were able to work it out! I do agree with your idea of putting the blocks in a separate quilt. The colours are gorgeous! Cheers!

Allyson in Alaska said...

Love those Christmas Star blocks. I think you're getting the better end of the deal...two Christmas quilts.

Bookmarked the chowder recipe for a rainy day.

Gina said...

As you taught me Kathy, it pays to listen to your quilt. Now you should have two great quilts that you will love. Of course the other\option is to somehow work the blocks into the backing of the quilt and have a reversible one.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love that 7 shirts quilt...very nice!

Rose Marie said...

You have to go with your gut feelings and you just knew these blocks didn't work together. Glad that you figured it out and you can finally move on.

Mary Johnson said...

Sometimes you just have to listen to the quilt. Mine frequently have a mind of their own!