Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back from retreat

I can't believe that my quilting retreat is over already. It was a wonderful getaway as always and very inspiring to see all the amazing bags, tablerunners, wallhangings, and quilts being made by quilting friends.
This is my project tally:
11 projects made the trip this year...I tried to be more realistic and reduced by 3 from last year!
5 did not get opened (apparently I am still a little overly optimistic!)
2 new projects were started...1 from stash scraps (see below) and 1 from a kit which I disliked and put away quickly
4 ongoing projects saw some major progress however I have no finishes to announce...I spread my time working on various projects until I felt like working on something else
One of my goals was to start the machine quilting on Carolina Crossroads which I finished piecing at retreat 2 years ago and pieced the backing for last weekend. Don't you just hate it when the bobbin runs out in the middle of machine quilting!  This quilt now has about 3 bobbins worth of quilting and it's maybe 1/3 finished.
My new project that I enjoyed working on is Quiltville's Scrappy Trips Around the World. I used some fabric from a scrap bag I bought at Hancock's in Paducah last year, plus lots of fabric from my stash. This photo shows the 20 blocks I pieced.  It was fun to sew and a great stash reducer. I want to make at least 4 more blocks, but I had sewn as many strips as I brought with me.

I took along the box of scraps that Julie sent to me - click here. I gave away a few pieces that some friends were coveting, then pressed the strings, sorting them into lights and darks, and sewed them into the Quilt-As-You-Go blocks I have been working on since 2007. I had hoped to make more progress on this project with sewing the blocks into rows, but I got so distracted with watching the Olympics that I didn't get much done! I did get the finished blocks sewn into twosies and the sashings are ready to be hand stitched.
This photo of me reminds me of Bonnie's blogpost about quilters dressing to match their quilts - click here. I am sewing with purple thread and working on purple sashing with a purple backing...and wearing purple!
That's the report for 2010 quilt retreat. Now I am off to get some much needed sleep!

14 comments:

Heather said...

the trip around the world looks great. Good progress all around.

Darlene said...

You trips around the world is fabulous, Kathy. It's only important that you had lots and lots of fun.

antique quilter said...

sure sounds like you had lots of fun
oh yes I do think we dress like our quilts!
love the trip around the world quilt
can't wait to see that one finished.
Kathie

Joan said...

How busy you have been. All your work looks fantastic Kathie...Enjoy your sleep - it certainly looks like you earned it :)

julieQ said...

Sorry to be back? It ended all too soon! Love your scrappy Trip, and you string blocks are so wonderful. And color coordinated!

Jean said...

Sounds like you had a great time quilting with friends and you really got a lot done!

Diane said...

welcome home! liking your trip around the world. I've been distracted by the Olympics too-but that's ok.

Dresden Quilter said...

I love the purple theme. Your trip around the world looks fantastic.

Ruthie said...

Looks like you had a great time. Our retreat starts next Thursday, so I'm trying to decide what to take with me.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your scrappy trip around the world is wonderful!

Judy D in WA said...

How much fun did you have??? You made good progress on some of your projects. I love the quilt as you go with matching sweater. And the TAW-I have a bag of blue and cream strips I bought at a garage sale-that is what I'm going to do with them! Thanks for that idea. ;-)
Welcome back!

scraphappy said...

It looks like so much fun! Glad you were able to use up some of your scraps. It doesn't ever seem like they get all used up though, does it?

Mary Johnson said...

The scrappy trip looks great! I want to do a couple versions of that quilt. One just a straight bargello type and then a similar one.

The purple QAYG looks good too -- I'd always read about hand stitching until HeartStrings -- I think I'm going to give it a try by machine ...maybe two tries - one like Jan Mac and one like Keryn. There are links to both their methods at the bottom of the instructions for the blocks here:
http://www.maryquilts.com/heartstrings-qayg-blocks/

Rose Marie said...

I just started making scrappy trip around the world blocks and it was interesting to see your version .... love your version!