Friday, September 04, 2009

Mini #4

This is the last one of the mini series...all the little tiny bits that were leftover that most people would put in the garbage! It looks a little wonky in the photo, but in real life I think (hope) that it's not that bad! I have heard this pattern called "Chinese Coins" but don't know how that name relates to the design. 
If you have extra time to surf the web this long weekend and want to see a few other "Chinese Coins" quilts, here is a list to enjoy:
3) Mary has a few different versions and patterns on her site but this one is my favorite with the coins border.
4) Millie made her quilt from a charm pack with larger pieces with an alternating white block (she also has one on her blog header)
5) Andee made her own series of chinese coin quilts.

In the comments on my post yesterday Sara asked the size of the pieces I used. For the first three minis I cut rectangles 1.25" x 2", so the finished size once they are sewn together is .75" x 1.5". In this mini, the white pieces are that size but most of the other pieces are smaller than that.
I enjoyed quilting a 1" grid pattern... I haven't done that for a while and thought it might be fun. I am very lazy with my grid quilting. My fancy technique is to draw and quilt the first diagonal line, then place my 1" ruler on the quilt top, put my walking foot on the edge of the ruler and then scooch the ruler along the previously sewn line. 
Today we moved the majority of my daughter's belongings into her university residence and tomorrow is the big drop off day. I will cope by quilting my brains out every minute after she is gone. There is nothing like a quilting challenge to keep yourself from turning into one big blubbering mess! I plan to finish this quilt.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your mini-coins is so adorable! Thanks for the mention too!

Gina said...

Love the mini.

Your daughter will be fine. In no time at all it will be the hollidays and she will be home again

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Ginger Patches said...

Sooo cute!! Love the ones in the previous post too. I have been on a mini kick this week also, they are so fun, so quick and soooo cute!!!

Darlene said...

Cute, cute, cute Kathy. I love the mini quilts.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It's adorable! Such tuny pieces!

julieQ said...

Love this baby! So very cute...I love making something out of someone's leftovers!